QACI offers the opportunity for students to study one of three mainstream languages, French, Spanish or Mandarin. Students must study a mainstream language for their Pre-IB language program.
The course is designed for students who have had very little or no prior experience with the language. However, depending on the proficiency levels of the cohort, provision may be made to cater for language learners to study at a more advanced level.
This subject aims to enable learners to:
- Communicate basic ideas effectively within a prescribed range of situations
- Understand and use a limited range of vocabulary in common usage
- Understand and use accurately essential written and spoken forms of the language in a limited range of situations
- Use a register that is generally appropriate to the situation
- Show an awareness of some cultural elements related to the language studied.
These subjects prepare students for the IB Diploma ab initio program by:
- Practising speaking, listening, reading and writing to develop vocabulary, grammar and general sentence structure
- Using a range of media and cultural stimuli to present open ended tasks based on topics studied
- Looking at differences between their own culture and target language culture.