The IB Diploma Programme Design Technology course aims to develop internationally-minded people whose
enhanced understanding of design and the technological world can
facilitate our shared guardianship of the planet and create a better
Students will focus on analysis, design development, synthesis and evaluation. With inquiry and problem solving at the heart of the subject, students will study the use of the design cycle as a tool, which provides the methodology used to structure the inquiry and analysis of problems, the development of feasible solutions, and the testing and evaluation of the solution.
Design technology achieves a high level of design literacy by enabling students to develop critical-thinking and design skills, which they can apply in a practical context. While designing may take various forms, it will involve the selective application of knowledge within an ethical framework.
The Design Technology subject enables learners to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of Design Technology and its role in designing for humans
- Develop methods of presenting technological information and subject knowledge
- Become effective design problem solvers and ethical designers
- Become more aware of individual, local and global issues linked to design situations
Apply and use:
- Relevant facts and concepts
- Design strategies, methods and graphical techniques
- Technological terminology to communicate their ideas effectively
- Appropriate communication methods to present design information
Construct, analyse and evaluate:
- Design briefs, problems, specifications, research and time plans
- Basic production methods, techniques and products
- Data, information and technological explanations
- Demonstrate personal skills of cooperation, collaboration, perseverance, empathy, integrity and responsibility appropriate for effective designing and problem solving
- Begin to develop the manipulative skills, processes and techniques necessary to carry out a basic design-and-make activity with precision.
These activities prepare students for the IB Diploma Programme:
- Design problem-solving activities
- Graphical presentations of designs
- Adobe Illustrator, Google Sketch Up
- Understanding client design briefs
- Research techniques
- Creating design solution activities
- Design terminology and thinking
- Application of Technical terminology to project work and exam situations.