Homestay is a great opportunity for International students in Years 10-12 at Queensland Academies Creative Industries to experience the Australian lifestyle in a safe and supportive family environment.
Homestay host families contribute to the positive memories international students have of their time in Queensland, and many form long-lasting friendships with students and their families all over the world.
Homestay host families are diverse, and our Queensland Academies Admissions team invite enquiries and applications from anyone who has a genuine interest in welcoming an international student into your home and family, and an ability to meet the requirements of the homestay program.
The homestay program for Queensland Academies students is governed by Education Queensland International (EQI). EQI, a branch of the Queensland Department of Education, develops and promotes programs for international students who want to study abroad at a Queensland Government primary or secondary school, as well as policies and procedures to support student welfare, and ensure stringent homestay standards are met. Queensland Academies works with families who are seeking to become EQI-approved homestay providers, and to arrange high quality accommodation with convenient access to the Academy.
To support homestay relationships, Queensland Academies Homestay Coordinators, International Student Coordinators and school support staff work with international students, their families and homestay providers, prior to placement and throughout the homestay.
What does a homestay host family provide?
Your primary role as a homestay host is to provide students with a safe, welcoming and friendly home situation that supports their personal and educational needs.
All families seeking to become EQI-approved homestay providers must:
You must provide your student with:
- a clean, safe and friendly home where international students can experience the Queensland lifestyle and practice their English conversation skills
- a private bedroom with a desk, chair and adequate lighting for study, and storage space for the student’s clothes, personal belongings and study materials
- three nutritious meals a day and healthy snacks between
- assistance to access transport to and from school and for school-related activities, within a reasonable travel distance to a Queensland Academy (see maps below for Brisbane and Gold Coast locations).What do homestay host families receive?
What do homestay host families receive?
In return for your care and hospitality, students are expected to show you and your family respect, courtesy and consideration.
You will receive a fortnightly payment to cover the student’s meals and homestay expenses.
You will have access to support services and resources to help you plan for your student’s visit, and throughout their stay.
Become a homestay provider, or short-term or emergency homestay provider
To apply to become a homestay provider, or a short-term emergency homestay provider, for an international student at a Queensland Academy in Brisbane or on the Gold Coast, please:
- Complete the Homestay Provider Application Form and
- Acknowledgement, declaration and agreement to be an EQI homestay provider form
- Email both to email@example.com.
- The Queensland Academies Homestay Coordinator will review your application and contact you.
Become a Homestay Host
If you are interested in securing a homestay placement or providing homestay for a student at our campus, please contact our Admissions Team on +61 (7) 3377 9366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org