When students commence at Queensland Academies Creative Industries (QACI) they will study Pre-International Baccalaureate (IB) Science as their group 4 subject.
Once students have completed the Pre-IB science course, a selection is made to study and Standard Level (SL) or Higher Level (HL) Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Environment Systems and Societies (ESS).
As the Chemistry HL course is quite challenging, it is recommended that students be achieving at least a B level in Year 10 Science to enable them to cope with the demands of the course.
Studying Chemistry in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme enables learners to:
- Appreciate scientific study and creativity within a global context through stimulating and challenging opportunities
- Acquire a body of knowledge, methods and techniques that characterise science and technology
- Apply and use a body of knowledge, methods and techniques that characterise science and technology
- Develop an ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise scientific information
- Develop a critical awareness of the need for, and the value of, effective collaboration and communication during scientific activities
- Develop experimental and investigative scientific skills including the use of current technologies
- Develop and apply 21st century communication skills in the study of science
- Become critically aware, as global citizens, of the ethical implications of using science and technology
- Develop an appreciation of the possibilities and limitations of science and technology
- Develop an understanding of the relationships between scientific disciplines and their influence on other areas of knowledge.