We are a selective entry independent public school for senior high school students studying in Year 10-12, therefore entry is not automatic or based on an enrolment catchment area.
We have a single point of entry into the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme at the start of Year 10. The application process is designed to be undertaken by students in Queensland in Year 8 and Year 9 (or age or education program equivalent) for entry at the commencement of Term 1 of Year 10.
A student can submit one application only to Queensland Academies for entry into Year 10 2021.
How to Apply for Year 10 in 2021
Applications for Year 10, 2021 have closed. Applicants seeking entry will need to submit an application under the Principal's Discretionary Application Process.
Principal's Discretionary Application process steps:
2. Applications will be assessed as vacancies arise on a case by case basis. The Principal will make a recommendation about how the application will progress.
Principal's Discretionary Applications will be assessed by the Principal as vacancies arise on a case-by-case basis. Highly capable candidates with strong academic results seeking to apply through this process should submit their online application at the earliest possible opportunity.
Application for admission is no guarantee of available vacancies or successful enrolment and any fees paid are non-refundable.
Applications for Year 10, 2021 to all Queensland Academies can be made online now.
How to Apply for Year 10 in 2022
Students currently in Year 8 can submit their application to be considered for Year 10 2022.
Standard application process steps:
- Submit an online application through the Queensland Academies Portal.
- Applicants sit the Edutest entrance test.
- Selected students are invited to participate in an interview.
- Applicants receive notice of outcome.
Applications for Year 10 2022 will close late Term 1, 2021. Date to be confirmed.
Before you apply:
Applicants seeking special consideration for the entrance test should contact the Queensland Academies Admissions office prior to lodging your application
Applicants who live or study interstate, overseas or remote from the campus must refer to Edutest's Remote Testing Service eligibility and the additional remote testing fee prior to lodging an application
QACI is certified to provide education to International students (CRICOS No 00608A)
- International Students must first complete an application through Education Queensland International (EQI) before applying directly to Queensland Academies
- Enrolment is only through the Queensland Academies selective entry applications process.
- It is an expectation that students who study Music in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme need to have completed or are working toward their AMEB 3 Theory (or equivalent).
- It is an expectation that students entering the QACI Dance program have been enrolled in an accredited dance syllabus course (RAD, Cecchetti, ATOD, CSTD) and continue to participate in structured classes either in the style of ballet, contemporary or jazz.
- Please ensure you are familiar with the Queensland Academies Admissions Policy prior to submitting your application.
Please have the following documentation ready to upload in the application:
- A photograph of the applicant
- Birth Certificate (applicants born in Australia or New Zealand) or Passport (all other applicants).
- International students and temporary residents must attach visa evidence;
- Permanent Residents must attach evidence of Permanent Residency.
- Medical Diagnosis Letter/Report*
- Evidence of Giftedness (if applicable)
- Two most recent semester school reports (e.g. Semester 1 2019 & Semester 2 2019)
- If you apply prior to receiving your Semester 2 2019 Report Card, you will be prompted to upload this document when available.
- NAPLAN results for Year 3, 5, 7, and 9 (if available)
*A medical diagnosis report/letter may be requested if an applicant is seeking special considerations (adjustments) for the Entrance Test. Letters from health practitioners must be on an official letterhead and state clear information regarding the candidate's condition as it affects their ability to sit the Entrance Test and outline recommended adjustments.
Parents are required to submit an application via the Queensland Academies Application Portal, you will need to:
- setup a parent login
- create a student profile
- open a new Year 10 application for that student profile
- upload documentation throughout the online application process
The Queensland Academies entrance exam is conducted by Edutest and measures ability and achievement through a series of five individual tests. The total duration for the exam is approximately 3 hours.
The Ability Tests
Ability tests are designed to measure a child's ability to think, reason and solve problems, without necessarily relying on prior knowledge. Ability generally predicts how quickly a child will be able to learn and the level of complexity they can comfortably deal with.
1. Verbal Reasoning (30 minutes)
Measures the ability to think and reason using words and language. This including vocabulary, word relationships, classification and deduction.
2. Numerical Reasoning (30m minutes)
Measures the ability to think and reason using numbers. This includes series, matrices, arithmetical reasoning and deduction.
The Achievement Tests
Achievement tests are designed to measure actual achievement or performance in some key academic areas. Achievement scores are influenced by a child's ability, as well as the application and practise of knowledge that has been learned.
3. Reading Comprehension (30 minutes)
Measures the capacity to read and interpret meaning from written passages, as well as correct, complete and punctuate sentences.
4. Mathematics (30 minutes)
Measures ear-level appropriate mathematical knowledge, including items tapping numbers, measurement, algebra, space and data.
5. Written Expression (15 minutes)
This test assesses the ability to convey ideas clearly in written form. Punctuation, creativity, construction, grammar, spelling and relevance to the task are assessed.
Applicants who are invited to attend a campus interview must bring the following:
1. Sample of academic work
The purpose of this sample is for the applicant to use it as a basis to respond to questions during the interview as well as communicate reasons they should be considered for a place at the campus for which they are applying. A portfolio of awards and certificates is not required.
The sample of work should be from an area of the applicant's interest and should demonstrate academic excellence and innovation. The work sample should evidence an extended piece of writing or journaling; examples may include anything from a scientific research assignment, to a creative piece with supporting written analysis, to a school assignment. Please provide a copy of the work sample to be left with the interviewer (hardcopy printout or USB).
2. A statement of academic journey
This statement should be a maximum of one A4 page, font size Arial 10, outlining the applicant's academic journey, including the highs and lows.
Notice of Outcome
Outcomes will be issued to applicants via email.
Parents/carers will be contacted by the school campus to accept their offer and pay the deposit fee. This deposit is deducted from the annual International Baccalaureate Programme fee when the student commences Year 10.
Click here for information about the Admissions Policy
*Remote online testing incurs an additional fee. Please see the Edutest website for more details.
Applicants seeking fee relief for program and other fees are requested to contact the relevant campus Principal.
Please visit the Queensland Academies Admissions Policy
for further Information.