When students commence at Queensland Academies Creative Industries (QACI) they will study Pre-International Baccalaureate (IB) Science as their Group 4 subject.
Once students have completed the Pre-IB science course, a selection is made to study at Standard Level (SL) or Higher Level (HL) Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Environment Systems and Societies (ESS).
Biology aims to enable learners to:
- Appreciate scientific study and creativity within a global context through stimulating and challenging opportunities
- Acquire a body of knowledge, methods and techniques that characterise science and technology
- Apply and use a body of knowledge, methods and techniques that characterise science and technology
- Develop an ability to analyse, evaluate and synthesise scientific information
- Develop a critical awareness of the need for, and the value of, effective collaboration and communication during scientific activities
- Develop experimental and investigative scientific skills including the use of current technologies
- Develop and apply communication skills in the study of science
- Become critically aware, as global citizens, of the ethical implications of using science and technology
- Develop an appreciation of the possibilities and limitations of science and technology
- Develop an understanding of the relationships between scientific disciplines and their influence on other areas of knowledge.
IB Diploma (Year 11 & 12) Which level do I choose?
HL students are required to study the biological concepts in greater depth and complete a larger volume of work, extending the core topics studied by the SL students. Options also have Higher Level components requiring students to learn more detailed aspects. HL students sit longer exams and are required to perform and report on more Practical work than SL students.
HL Biology students, as in any IB Diploma subject, are expected to show dedication, passion and commitment to extend themselves beyond what is expected of SL students.
As the HL course is challenging, it is recommended that students be achieving at least a B level in Year 10 Science to enable them to cope with the demands of the course.
IB Diploma Assessment
Examinations - multiple choice, short answer and data based questions
Internal Assessment (Individual investigation)