What is a Coach?
A coach can be defined as ‘an experienced adviser and supporter’, i.e. a person, usually older and more experienced, who advises and guides a younger, less experienced person.
Academy students study a rigorous curriculum which requires them to adopt new approaches to learning. With this in mind, QACI implements the Connect Program (pastoral care program) to ensure that all students achieve to their potential through developing a range of strategies and behaviours.
Under the program each student is assigned to a Connect Coach who acts as their on campus parent. Each coach is responsible for:
- Meeting with their Connect Group on a weekly timetabled basis
- Mentoring the group to develop appropriate study and learning skills
- Monitoring the academic progress of each of their students
- Liaising with parents and other support services as needed
- Implementing the emotional/social pastoral care and career programs
- Meeting with each student one-to-one on a regular basis to discuss progress and provide mentoring.
The Connect Coaching Program is the key mechanism for ensuring the well being of all Academy students.
Every student at the Academy will be placed in one of 21 Connect Groups from 3 Houses. Each Connect Group will be comprised of students from each year level. Siblings will be in the same Connect Group and a student will stay in the same Connct Group for the duration of their time at the Academy. As part of the enrolment procedure, each student has completed a personal profile and this will inform the Connect Group coach of the student’s talents, goals and aspirations. This profile will also influence development of the CAS program.
The purpose of Houses and Connect is to:
- Foster a belonging for each student within a team environment that supports, encourages and celebrates success
- Bring students together across year levels with a common purpose
- Inspire and promote teamwork and Academy spirit
- Monitor performance and progress
- Provide individual support and guidance
- Ensure accountability of policies and procedures
- Facilitate communication between the Academy, students and carers.
Role of Connect Coach
- Leadership for their Connect Group in the delivery of outcomes reflective of the purpose of success
- Act as a communication link between home and school
- Assist with coordinating information between parents/carers, teachers, support staff and the student
- Be a first point of contact at the Academy for student / family progress and welfare issues.
The role of the Connect Coach is to support and advise the students on their overall Academic organisation and performance. The focus is targeted to meet the needs of high performing students in an environment of higher learning.
This will focus on:
- Developing the attributes of the QACI Effective Learner
- Time management and organisation
- Academic progress
- Academic buoyancy and resilience
- Student CAS participation and recording