Roles and Responsibilities of the Student, Extended Essay Supervisor, Content Advisor and Extended Essay Coordinator
- Read and understand provided booklet of guidelines, textbook, and all details (such as criteria) relevant to the chosen subject.
- Abide by the dates outlined in this booklet (Dates can be changed only by the Principal).
- Commit to at least 40 hours of work on the Extended Essay, starting in July, 2014 and finishing in July, 2015.
- Choose a topic and devise a research question that is a fit with one of the subjects on the approved Extended Essay list (in the Vade Mecum).
- Do independent work collecting data from primary and secondary sources, analysing the data and writing a 4000 word essay that reports on the research process and findings.
- Work cooperatively with the supervisor.
- Understand and abide by the school policy about academic honesty.
This team will contain one or two content supervisors and an essay supervisor (non-content specific supervisor). The team will:
- Ensure each student has a consistent level of knowledge and skills regarding the EE process and criteria.
- Enable peer learning among teachers.
- Provide a safety net for a student if a supervisor leaves the Academy or is on leave.
- Encourage and support each student allocated to him/her.
- Provide advice regarding (a) the research process,(b) writing an extended academic text in appropriate structure, style and format and (c) interpretation of subject-specific criteria.
- Monitor and record progress, using Managebac to do so.
- Respond accordingly when responsibilities are not met by student.
- Maintain communication with parents, including formal reporting.
- Ensure that the research and the essay are the student’s own work. i.e. that academic honesty is maintained.
- Complete IB moderation and accountability processes.
- Spend approximately 3-5 hours assisting each student.
A teacher of the subject area of the student’s choice – in most cases the student’s class teacher for that subject
- Provide advice regarding the content of the essay.
- Ensure that subject specific language (terminology) is used appropriately in the essay.
NB: A content advisor will have experience and skills as a supervisor.
- Ensure that students determine the subject for their extended essay from the approved extended essay subjects before choosing the topic.
- Ensure that each student has an appropriately qualified supervisor, who is a teacher within the school.
- Provide supervisors and students with the general and subject-specific information, and guidelines for the extended essay.
- Provide supervisors with recent extended essay subject reports.
- Ensure that supervisors are familiar with the IBO document Academic honesty.
- Explain to students the importance of the extended essay in the overall context of the Diploma Program.
- Explain to students that they will be expected to spend approximately 40 hours on their extended essay.
- Set internal deadlines for the stages of producing the extended essay, including provision for a concluding interview (viva voce).
- Ensure that students have been taught the necessary research skills provide appropriate training for supervisors.
- Prepare, publish and distribute Academy guidelines for the Extended Essay to both teachers and students, these being inclusive of:
- Overview of the Extended Essay task,
- The allocation of supervisors or team of supervisors,
- Roles of students and staff.
- Distribute text “Extended Essay” to each student.
- Conduct information sessions for students and parents as required.
- Monitor deadlines.
- Monitor Managebac and documentation of staff-student interaction.
- Provide guidance for students and staff regarding the research process, academic writing and operation matters.
- Provide workshops at appropriate points in the research process or as needed by individuals.
- Supervise submission of the EE.
- Supervise storage of the EE task in the IRC.