- Increase self-awareness
- Learn about learning
- Explore new and unfamiliar challenges
- Employ different learning styles
- Develop their ability to communicate and collaborate with others
- Experience and recognise personal development
- Develop attributes of the IB Learner Profile
To successfully complete CAS, students must provide evidence and reflection as outlined in the learning outcomes.
- Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth
Students are able to see themselves as individuals with various abilities and skills, of which some are more developed than others.
- Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process
A new challenge may be an unfamiliar experience or an extension of an existing one. The newly acquired or developed skills may be shown through experiences that the student has not previously undertaken or through increased expertise in an established area.
- Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience
Students can articulate the stages from conceiving an idea to executing a plan for a CAS experience or series of CAS experiences. This may be accomplished in collaboration with other participants. Students may show their knowledge and awareness by building on a previous experience, or by launching a new idea or process.
- Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS experiences
Students demonstrate regular involvement and active engagement in CAS
- Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively
Students are able to identify, demonstrate and critically discuss the benefits and challenges of collaboration gained through CAS experiences.
- Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance
Students are able to identify and demonstrate their understanding of global issues, make responsible decisions, and take appropriate action in response to the issue either locally, nationally or internationally.
- Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and actions
Students show awareness of the consequences of choice and actions in planning and carrying out CAS experiences.