Congratulations to Year 10 Students Josephine Hawley and Aniella Baquiran who both achieved selection to participate in the Brisbane City Council 2017 Green Heart Schools’ Student Environmental Leadership Program (SELN). SELN develops young people as leaders and is specifically designed to provide participants with an opportunity to implement environmental behaviour change projects in their school communities.
Last year the SELN delivered creative projects such as:
- a recycled plane flying competition to raise awareness about waste management in schools and find new ways to re purpose materials that would otherwise end up in landfill
- implementation of sustainable vegetable gardens at various schools including native bees for pollination, worm farms for compost and use of produce at the school tuckshop
- switching single use plastic bottles in school tuckshops to reusable bottles
- implementation of recycling bins in school grounds and paper waste bins in classrooms
- collection of soft plastic shopping bags to cut and weave into plastic sleeping mats which are being donated to the homeless
- implementation of Nude Food Days once a week in schools where only lunches without packaging can be brought in
- savings of up to $720 a month by diverting paper waste to recycling instead of general waste.