As part of our wellbeing program, on the 16th June, Pete from Unleashing Personal Potential presented a workshop via Teams to the Year 10s on PERMA-H.
PERMA-H stands for Positive emotion, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning and purpose, Accomplishment and Health. They are the six elements of wellbeing as espoused by Martin Seligman as part of his Positive Psychology approach to leading a flourishing life. The application of these in an educational context is known as Positive Education.
Click on this link if you would like to delve into this further: https://positivepsychology.com/perma-model/
These are also the six elements of wellbeing that underpin our wellbeing framework here at QACI.
Pete introduced each element to the year 10s, accompanied by an activity. The students then had a follow up lesson to further explore the elements with their Connect Coach and were asked to come up with examples for what they can do to enhance each element.
Some of these were:
- Positive Emotion – keep a gratitude journal for the next month
- Engagement – do yoga every day
- Relationships – be a good listener
- Meaning and purpose – take in cans of food to a homeless shelter
- Accomplishment – review my goals for term 3 and set a password goal
- Health – walk my dog every day, even when it's really cold!
As we move into the holidays, this is a great opportunity to recharge and to focus more fully on our wellbeing, and then to carry these helpful habits through into term 3.